Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Reasons for Dreads.

So I've determined that I'm going to try dreads after I grow out my current "do".



I LOVE my hair the way it is - it's the BEST hair cut EVER, but I've been thinking it's time for a change and dreads have been calling me.

I got the idea because I read several blogs written my women with dreads and I saw a guy with gorgeous dreads at Giant one day and at The Good Earth the next (we get our meat from Giant because they have Laura's for the kids and we just LOVE The Good Earth) and I have thus been inspired.

But that's not all.

The one thing about this haircut that makes me nuts is that I have to cut it at least once every three weeks.  I LOVE the low maintenance - jump up in the morning and go and the "don't have to worry about it" for hiking and cycling and running - but that cutting thing just GETS to me.

With dreads, the cutting would be definitely minimized/eliminated - at least for a good long time - which would free me up to do things like hike the entire Appalachian Trail with my family.  This is on our bucket list to accomplish in about four years, when Maeryn is six and Jonah is ten.  Dreads would be PERFECT for this trip - low maintenance, don't have to cut them, out of my face - etc. and if I start growing them during Lent (the plan), then in four years they should be locked and awesome... at least that's the hope.  Of course I might despise them, in which case I'll just shave my head again.  No worries.

I'm not so excited about the in between hair...  but I'll figure it out.

There are a few things that worry me, however...  I'm hoping some of you readers who have more experience with dreads than I can answer these questions:

1.  Can I fit them under a swim cap so I can do laps?  Any advice on swimming in general - or things to note?

2.  Can I still wear a bike helmet?  (I know that sounds ridiculous, but I really want to know!)  Again - any notes from cyclists who have been there or know someone who has?

3.  Are they going to be super heavy and cause neck pain?  This was one reason I shaved my head in the first place, but once my hair was gone the neck pain remained, and only yoga sorted it out - but I'd not like to tread that road again.

4.  Will someone teach me how to do cool things with them?

5.  Can you cut them and have them still maintain their shape?

OH - and in other news:

Lost his first tooth last night!  He pulled it himself!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...