Friday, September 13, 2013

Halloween in August: a Campground Tradition

Maeryn dressed as "a church owner" for Halloween in August
Today we're in Maine.

Yup.

One of our shorter travel days.

And as soon as we arrived we noticed with interest the Halloween decorations displayed all around the camp store and office. 

Normally, on transition days, we stay in.  We hook up.  We clean up (it's a good reminder to clean the bathrooms, stove, oven, towels, etc.).  We have a family meeting where we talk about limits for the kids regarding location in the campground.  Sometimes we have a go at looking up fun stuff to do in the area and make a list of the things we want to do most.  We grocery shop...

And so when Jonah asked if he could please go trick or treating...  I figured he was out of his mind and I would be out of mine to allow it.

Maeryn  jumped on the bandwagon.

"Trick or treat?  It's August."

"Yeah, but there is trick or treat in August here and everyone is going around to the campsites trick or treating."

We had no costumes.  No candy.

It seemed impossible and I didn't want to deal with it.

"I don't think so."

"Please, Mom!"

And then Michael offered to take them to the store to get candy.

And I was slammed with sudden inspiration for costumes...

And so... there we were.  We had arrived ten minutes earlier and there was now a flourish of October-like activity.

Jonah was to be a pirate.

Maeryn a man...  er... "church owner".

Jonah found great attire himself - a headband and plastic sword with cut off jean shorts.  Michael fashioned him an eye patch out of some leftover material we had lying around.  Maeryn wore Michael's suit jacket, tie, and fedora.  I gave them a plastic bag each, dumped the candy Michael had picked up at the store into a bowl, and we all headed out.  Michael took the kids around to the campsites and I sat at the picnic table with my bowl of candy and a hooded sweatshirt (welcome to Maine!).

I have never been so thankful for my extroverted little man.

The people at our campground were the friendliest we've encountered.  People were smiling.  Costumes were all make-shift and fabulous.  I handed out candy generously and my kids came home beaming with their spoils.

So far... Maine feels pretty good.

Later, I Googled Halloween in August.  It is apparently a campground tradition.  You can learn more about it here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...