Sunday, August 21, 2011

School Supplies.


Jonah and I went school shopping Friday evening.



We spent $72.  Just for the things on the list.

I thought everyone had a right to free and public education? 

It's different here than in Pennsylvania, where I grew up: in PA you actually COULD go through school "for free".  The school provided a pencil every nine weeks.  Paper was readily available in every room - and with those two things you could make your way through the education system.  Granted, most kids bought their own pencils and folders and notebooks - but you COULD do school without purchasing anything. 

Regardless, that's what we spent for all of the "required" items.

Jonah has started to get nervous:

What if I don't finish my work in time?

What if I need to come home?

He has a ton of "what ifs".  I can't blame him.  It's a totally new experience.  I'm working on being supportive of him no matter what.  It's hard for a person who is a neurotic planner (me).  I like to know what's going to happen and when and how everything will go down.  This is something where I need to remain supportive and I have no idea what the outcome of this will be. 

Michael and I are working together to re-program our brains to the thinking we believe in instead of the thinking we were taught as children.  We're looking at school as just another tool... another choice - like swim team or tae kwon do lessons.  It's tough to do as a kid who went through K - 12 as a public school kid. 

Prayers still appreciated. 

I'm feeling a little better now, about everything.  Still hoping (I admit it) that Jonah will choose to come back home - but prepared for whatever he needs.


2 comments:

CD2 said...

Supply lists are nuts! I saw a kid in staples looking for 7" scissors...I remember when I first started working here, I was like "wait, we don't have tissues? not even scratchy hospital-grade ones?"

Daniel is off to preschool (no list, just some wardrobe requirements to facilitate easy potty time and safety). He is pretty excited to go. He told the teacher he "ALREADY goes to school with mom and her big kids, but he will give her baby school a try". Looking forward to a few notes coming home ;-)

Hugs and Prayers for J's journey!

Missy said...

Thanks so much! I'm sure he'll do awesome! He sounds like a super cool kid.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...