Friday, January 1, 2010

Fitness Date :-)

Michael's parents are down for the New Year, so Michael and I took advantage of the free babysitting and went for a run on the naval base near our house. The base was pretty much deserted, so we just grabbed a parking space near the road and took a short three mile jaunt. It was nice to be together. We talked pretty much the whole time, and for the last 1/2 mile, since I was laborious in my breathing, I just listened.

I wasn't sure Michael would keep talking. He asked me if he needed to stop talking and I said "No, if I can just listen", and he kept talking, telling me about stuff. I had the energy and breath capacity to nod every once in awhile. It was really nice just to hear him out, to let him talk about what he wanted to talk about, to show me things that he was interested in - it was a nice change - I'm usually the talker between us, starved for adult attention after hours with my constantly asking questions gifted five year old and my into everything 19 month old, so today was a really good thing, and I learned a lot about him that I didn't know before.

He's a much deeper person when I let him come out of his carefully constructed shell.

I am blessed.

And extremely thankful for grandparents.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...