Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Book Review: A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

I have not even finished this book yet, so I might need to take all of this back in a few days, but having only read a little over halfway through I must already say that this is one of the most enjoyable books I have ever read.

One of my bucket list goals is to hike the Appalachian Trail.  I'm ready to go right now, but that whole, taking off six months of work thing is making it tough for Michael to commit  :-)

Anyway, this book is all about Bryson's hike of the AT a few years ago.  It is ripe with interesting facts regarding the AT hiking experience and the forests of North America, but more than that, it is ripe with HUMOR.

I am learning in my old age that it's just way more fun to laugh than to feel crappy.  I have watched a lot of drama and I have read a lot of drama and at this point I'm really just interested in something happy.  That's not to say I don't see the merit in the other things, but a book that can make me honestly laugh out loud - that is GOOD stuff.

Definitely merited some stares as I read during Jonah's gymnastics class yesterday.

So...I don't want to give too much away, but the section where his overweight friend tosses out all of the food from his pack because it simply weighed too much to continue lugging...well...I was almost crying tears of hilarity. 

SO.  If you're looking for a great read by an author who knows his stuff and also completely understands how to tickle your funny bone, and you love hiking, camping, and being outside - grab this book TODAY.

You can order it right now if you click on it under "I recommend" just to your right there.  I'll put it right at the top so you can't miss it. 

Happy reading!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...